With Hanmer Salsa Winter Fest 2021
The longest and continuous annual event of Afro-Caribbean music in New Zealand since 1995 brings this year dancers from all over the country for you to enjoy moving to the rhythm of Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, Cha-Cha, Kizomba, and Zouk in the snow. Join this festival even if you are a dance professional or a beginner, you will always have something that suits you.
Hanmer Salsa Winter Fest 2021 is an event for the whole family!
According to the authorities, New Zealand continues in the Level 2 category concerning the Covid-19 pandemic, which means that dancing as a couple is allowed as part of active recreation and is classified as a sport.
At alert level 2, the contact is possible:
- Keeping track of peers
- Constant hygiene of hands and surfaces
- Using the masks (Optional)
- Also, you can dance with only one partner if you choose not to be part of the rotation. (Swapping pairs in classes)
This year Hanmer Salsa Winter Fest presents ten Workshops:
Afro-Cuban – Palo: Recommended for all those who want to learn the Afro-Cuban roots. It is open to all levels. (Palo Monte belongs to the West African region of the Congo and is part of the Bantú religion).
Cuban Salsa Casino Partnerwork & Rueda Intro: The Cuban style will be worked in pairs and Rueda. In the Rueda style, a man (leader) turns instructions, and everyone executes the specific movements while exchanging pairs. Level: Intermediate. Duration: 60 minutes.
Afro Cuban – Oggun: This workshop will be held on Saturday at 10 AM, and that is ideal to continue learning about Afro-Cuban roots. Dancers of any level can access it. (Oggun: is a god of the Yoruba religion).
The Cuban Salsa Shines: It is recommended for dancers of intermediate and advanced levels. Here you will improve your footwork in the Cuban style.
Cuban Salsa Casino Partnerwork & Rueda: Workshop dedicated to improving your dance technique as a couple and in Rueda. If you have not practiced it for years, I recommend doing the Cuban SalsaCasino Partnerwork & Rueda Intro workshop first.
In addition to these five Salsa workshops, you can also learn to dance Kizomba and Bachata. The Bachata workshops include partner work and mergers with Sensual Bachata, while the kizomba workshops will be focused on improving transitions.
On Friday night, the Salsa parties and other Latin rhythms begin on a large dance floor and with an incredible sound system. The DJs in charge will be DJ Reuben and DJ Dave. Time: 9 PM – 12 AM. During this party, at approximately 10:30 PM, the dance animation will enter. A fun solo dance style like Zumba. Get ready to have fun and meet new friends here.
Information to access the Hanmer Salsa Winter Fest
For the first day, you must arrive 5 to 15 minutes earlier than the stipulated time to obtain the bracelet that will guarantee your priority entry to any of the workshops.
If you are one of those with a single entry, don’t worry, you can access the class if any member of the full access entries is not on time. Payment will be made on the same day of the workshop.
There is no set limit for people to enter for the late-night Latin parties. The passes will be available online until a week before the event.
Date: Friday, August 27th – Saturday, August 28th
Address: Hanmer Memorial Hall. 1 Jollies Pass Rd, Hanmer Springs. New Zealand
These Data May Interest You:
- Hanmer Springs is a small town in the Canterbury region of the South Island of New Zealand. Winter in this country runs from June to August.
- At this premier alpine spa destination in New Zealand, you will find a complex of Thermal Pools, as well as new pools, and incredible attractions.
- Taking a bus or driving is recommended if you want to save a little. It is an average trip of 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Hanmer Springs Village is located a 90-minute drive from Christchurch International Airport. If you want to take the tour, you will travel through the hills of the wine country, the rugged coastal route, and the picturesque mountain pass, if you come from the west coast.