It is known as Disc Jockey (also known with the abbreviation of DJ, and its Anglo-Saxon pronunciation of Deejay) or disyóquey to “the person who selects and mixes recorded music of his own or of other composers and artists, to be listened to by an audience”.
Musicalizador: is that person who can extract a periodic and varied list of an equis amount of songs of proven success loaded in the storage system.
Many people and/or dancers express the controversy of the musicalizadores and Dj’s. Of the rumbas salseras of all the times nowadays that call it of (Salsa Guateque and Baúl).
With respect to the content or musical selection that they place or propose each one to give to understand to the public rumbero dancer.
Today there are many musicalizers and above all self-appointed “Dj`s” and they use to call themselves from one day to another and what they do not know that to reach this art they must study and know the art of basic music such as harmonies, theory and solfeggio, to be more complex.
First, one thing is to be a Dj and another musicalizer, both have to know music, but the Dj is responsible for making the mix of one over the other in couplings of the song without distorting the original revolutions or Bpm that makes you feel the harmony of both in one. Making the dancers flow and make the place feel good and cool.
The Djs and musicalizers have a difficult task to bring the creativity and the magic to put to dance to their public some traditional and others demanding to be able to over carry a rumba or danceable night.
This work has been difficult, but also easy to have an ear to select a song with a good sense of lyrics and above all with a harmonious and contagious arrangement that gives pleasure at the time of dancing. Making of them the work of how and when to place the melody to make the hook between the public/dancer.
The public rumbero, dancer…It is hard to understand that going out one night and feeling the atmosphere with something musical that not only you like, but also your partner or whoever you ask to dance likes the theme. Remember that not only the song makes the night enjoyable, but also the sound of the song and the people around you.
On the other hand, there is the audience that is not even a dancer. Many have the bad sense to bother with a drink in hand, dance alone, even take pictures and record the musicians and / or DJs. They get in the way of those who really want to enjoy the dance floor.
The criticisms are constructive to be better for the next dance, remember that there is a lot of music from the older music stirring memories of the public. As well as the newest, given that the music is modern and evolving.
With this I do not mean that all are bad, on the contrary there are good musicians and DJs par excellence that I follow for many years. But there is a large group that is coming out in this that lacks some of the conditions mentioned above.
- If you are going to play a number, play the original. The musicians, composers, arrangers and dancers will thank you for it.
- Music with instrument downloads are UNCOMFORTABLE FOR DANCING. Know how to choose which solos are danceable. Give swing to the dancer.
- Don’t cut the end of the music, or mix it up. It takes away the happy moment of that final punch.
- Just because it’s fast doesn’t mean it’s danceable; listen and see how people enjoy the different tempos in the music.
- Hey…the guajira, the son montuno, the chachacha…whatever you call it, it’s part of the genre. Why do you have to ask for it and they look at you funny? Out of every three to four salsas, a chacha goes down very well.
- Caroline Cohen - May 2, 2023
- Will Phillips - May 2, 2023
- Alex Acuña - May 2, 2023